It's OK

This saying comes out of the 4 year old's mouth almost constantly.  Most of the time it's in response to me apologizing for not doing something with her or not being able to cater to her needs at the current moment "it's ok mommy", or if she's trying to be independent and I step in to 'help'... "it's ok mommy, I can do it", as well as when I try to be a little over controlling and just do things for her to get it done or when I want her to do something and she's not doing it... "it's ok mommy, I'm still playing with it, it's ok". 


And you know what - "IT" is OK.  and in my increasing diminishing energy due to my last month of pregnancy and I'm sure the long recovery and energy usage of having 3 children.... I'm learning that it truly is ok and to simply let go of somethings....and really trying to let go of the 'end of the world', out of control, chaos will ensue feeling that happens when things don't always go as planned or the way I foresee them going.

So here's some life lessons from an old soul living in 4 year old....

It's ok to sing while you poop or pee

It's ok to get sticky fingers while eating anything that needs syrup - waffle sticks(swish your finger around in the bowl of syrup and lick it off...try it I dare you) - hold the pancake/french toast with fingers while you cut it up - it's ok to simply eat said cut up pieces or something equally messy(spaghetti) with your fingers.

It's ok to be distracted and say 'sure honey' then check on said person and find scraps of paper all over because you 'said I could use the scissors'

It's ok to stay up late for 'just one more story'

It's also ok to stay up late to get in just the last 15 minutes of your favorite movie that you've seen 15 million times to make sure the ending doesn't change...all because you're crying because tinkerbell's light went out and you NEED to see her get back up and make sure Jane believes in fairies because you most certainly do - "don't you mommy" (and through my tears I replied... yes I do believe in fairies)

It's ok to have a pajama day - even if you are going somewhere

It's ok to lounge around in your underwear and then snuggle under a blanket because you are cold

It is also ok to run out of your room naked - shake your butt at whoever is in your sight and run back to your room giggling to finish getting dressed

It's ok to loose your cool sometimes, but always remember to apologize once all parties have calmed down and can logically and rationally talk

It's most definitely ok to give hugs and cuddles after loosing ones cool

It's ok to create a santa beard with bubbles in the bath

It's ok to lay back in the water until your ears are covered and talk really really loud because you sound funny underwater

It's ok to try to talk to your dad's friends through the xbox headset or tell dad to rely your day to said friends

It's ok to read until bed time...put down the books...and say I just want to cuddle...and fall asleep in your mom's arms

It's ok to open the bathroom door when mom is in the shower/going potty/getting dressed....saying "I just want to watch you" (ok maybe this one is not really ok.....)

It's ok to have pudding/crackers/even candy/or some other non breakfast food for breakfast - especially if you are in a hurry

It's ok to not have a bath every day or even every other day when you are little, because even though you LOVE baths... you didn't get THAT dirty today and you just want some snuggles before bedtime

It's ok to eat 2 bites of food and say your are done, even though you are still really hungry

It's ok to still have someone wipe your butt/nose/mouth/hands/etc because you just want to be touched

It's ok if toys are left out and not put away until a couple days or a week later

I am really trying not to stress out or worry as much as usual about little things. Obviously yes I still have rules to follow and things I like to have a certain way.... but really it's not the end of the world if something isn't done, isn't' done how I want it when I want it done, and isn't followed to my own expectations - but at the same time not necessarily lowering said expectations.

I have some major changes coming soon and I am really determined to try my best to not alienate myself or my children from each other. There is no handbook for parenting.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honey....Mommy needs a minute

Crafty Shmafty

Birthdays and Relief