Body Image of a 2 year old

Society over the years has taught us to be shameful of our bodies - no matter how 'skinny,' 'toned,' or 'fit'. To cover it up, to hide it because "No One wants to see 'that'"! We have been conditioned to loose the weight and keep it off, because if you do - your partner will love you more, you will get a better job, your kids will treat you better, your friends will want to hang out more, and a plethora of other lame excuses to make you feel bad enough about yourself to starve, work and run your body down until you are 'happy'. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing exercise; losing weight to be healthier, have more energy, sleep better, and be able to take care of your family more - YES - but that doesn't mean you have to be a size 0 or 2 or even a size 8. It's about what is healthy for you and your body and what makes you feel good.

My 2 year old has taught me something over the last few months - it feels great to be naked no matter what your body size. She loves being naked. If she didn't HAVE to wear clothes when we go out, she wouldn't. Majority of the time at home she's hanging out in her diaper having a grand ole time. If we go out and she's clothed, she picks them out - even if they don't match and are not season appropriate - and I adjust from there. Then as soon as we get home she is stripped back down to her diaper. And she works it. She dances, jumps, tumbles, runs, reads, eats, and plays games all naked. After her bath she runs to the living room does a butt shake and comes to get her pjs on.

Since having baby #2 I've struggled with the indulgence I went through during pregnancy 3 and a half years ago. I struggle just like everyone else with time to work out, not being that 'goth model' that my husband swooned over 8 years ago, having to buy larger 'nice work' clothes, and feeling slightly remorseful while I stuff my face with 4 doughnuts on a Sunday morning. When I do exercise my 2 year old asks me what I'm doing and I tell her that I'm exercising to feel better, be healthier, and so I can take care of her better.

 I'll let you in on a little secret: I truly believe that! I'm not doing it to get skinny, I'm not doing it to attract the opposite sex, I'm not doing it because I see a perfect body in a magazine. I'm doing it for me! And I will do it at my pace, my level, in my home, on my time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honey....Mommy needs a minute

Birthdays and Relief

Crafty Shmafty